Wednesday, August 28, 2013

The Trusy Aloe Vera Plant, and More

Why do people have Aloe Vera plant in the house?  My first thoughts are that it's a very useful plant - you can put it on burns from the kitchen, or sunburns, and there are even people here in Mexico who put some of the slimy stuff in smoothies for nutritional value.  But...

You learn something new everyday...



A couple of weeks ago, JP and I were at our friends - Ricardo and Ana's - house.  The husbands disappeared for a moment, and I asked Ana where they went.  "Oh, they went to go throw that big pot of Aloe Vera plant in the dumpster."  I asked why.  She told me that half of it had died, the pot was starting to break... "and besides, we don't want people to think we're trying to ward of evil spirits with it."  WHAT?!  I thought she was just saying the last part to be funny! But no.  Since that conversation, I've noticed several small businesses (hair salons, cafes, etc.) that have Aloe Vera plants with red ribbons tied to the pieces sitting in front.  Apparently, this is to get rid of "bad vibes."  Or evil spirits, or whatever bad thing you feel may be eminent.

I used to think that in Mexico, there was an "advantage" of sharing the gospel, as the majority of people at least believe that God exists.  But the longer I live here, the more I think that it may be even harder for many people here to come to a saving knowledge of Christ than if they didn't believe in God at all, because there are so many practices going on among people who "believe in God" that are occultist.  Just the other day I was waiting at a bus stop and a woman came up and grabbed my hand and told me she was going to read my palm.  Of course I didn't let that happen...  Palm readings and tarot card readings are really easy to find here, although it's still considered sketchy, so many people who go to those don't announce it to their friends or anything.  But more "mild" things, like the Aloe plant, or tying a red string to you baby's left wrist to protect it - those are culturally acceptable things that show a non-faith in God.  You can't trust in God and mysticism at the same time! 

2 comments:

  1. How can you not trust in God and mysticism? I'd like specific verses please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete