Monday, September 19, 2011

Clean Hair... And SO Much More

I HATE washing my hair.  Like I REALLY.  HATE.  IT.  I unfortunately also hate the feeling and the look of having dirty hair.  I also have hair that is prone to greasiness, and I play with my hair like, ALL the time.  That makes for an unfortunate combination.  However, I LOVE taking a shower (as long as I can do it without getting my hair wet)!  There were actually a couple of days this past summer, days when it was 95 degrees outside and 89 inside, where I showered three times in one day.  It just feels so good.  And two of those times per day were made even better by the fact that my hair didn't even NEED to be washed!  :)

So yesterday at church (yeah, I DO have a point to this!) we were studying Titus 3:1-7.  At Horizonte Church we go through an entire book of the Bible at a time.  Over the course of several weeks or months, of course.  And I've really been enjoying Titus.  So the pastor was talking about verse 5 - Jesus saves us, not because of cool stuff we've done but because of MERCY.  And as all Horizonte attendees know from the Titus series, mercy is "NOT receiving what you deserve."  Christ WANTS to clean us up from sin.  And the pastor asked a big question: What part of my life do I NOT want Christ to clean?  It's like me with not wanting to wash my hair.  In fact, I probably thought of that analogy yesterday during the sermon precisely because I hadn't washed my hair a in a couple days and, honestly, it was particularly greasy-looking.  I want my body to be clean (hence 3 showers per day if it's super hot out), but I don't want to go through the bother of washing an incredibly full head of hair because, even though I love the end result, I hate the process of actually washing it, then brushing it out, waiting for it to dry, or even worse drying it with a hair dryer.  So yesterday, for example, people had reason to wonder if I'd showered recently - not because I had crap on my face, or smelled like B.O., but because it was noticeble that I hadn't washed my hair.  And that contributes to a general "not-showered" look.  The same happens if I let Christ clense me from my sins but keep going back to one particular sin because I don't want to give it up and be forgiven.  Having forgiven sins is *a little* bit bigger of a deal than having clean hair.  And the GREAT thing is that if I give over control of my life to Christ so He takes care of the sins that I don't want to let go of, I'm clean for good!  (Stupid hair gets dirty again in the next day or two!!) 

So, while I may not change my hair-washing habits, I DID get a lot to think about and work on in my SPIRITUAL life!

No comments:

Post a Comment