Monday, October 11, 2010

Note to Self...

When you see a familiar-looking, harmless caterpillar on the ground, stoop to pick it up, and your husband yells "NOO!  No lo toques!  Te va a quemar!  (Don't touch that!  It'll burn you!)..."  don't touch it.
I've seen these caterpillars around Queretaro.  They look a LOT like those fuzzy black ones with an orange middle that we used to have as pet in Oregon (until they either dehydrated or starved to death!).  Hence me wanting to pick on up. 

I heeded my JP's advice and didn't touch the caterpillar (although I secretly wanted to to see what would happen). 
I went to Bernal the other week and was climbing the big rock (photo above), and my friend Pam (the girl with red hair, above) was having a rough go of it.  She was worrying about slipping on the rocks, and me and others were assuring her that she wouldn't slip.  I was right in front of her... and I started to slip, but caught myself before she noticed.  In that process, my wrist brushed up against something and immediate pain went through my whole arm.  I thought some huge bumble bee or something had stung me.  But no.  I had lightly touched an "azotador" caterpillar.  The stupid thing was unphased and went inching his way down the rock, as I tried not to cry.  We got up to the top of the rock and I was still in pain.  Someone suggested I suck on my wrist and spit out the bad stuff.  BAD idea.  Then my mouth hurt too! 
That caterpillar burn lasted for like 4 hours! 
I learned my lesson.  Don't pick up random caterpillars.

No comments:

Post a Comment